What Should I Do?
IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING BUYING A NEW HOME FROM TOLL BROTHERS, WE URGE YOU TO EDUCATE YOURSELF ABOUT TOLL BROTHERS' PAST AND CURRENT BUILDING PRACTICES. TAKE A TOUR OF THE HOMES BEING COMPLETELY REMEDIATED BY TOLL BROTHERS DUE TO ADMITTED BUILDING ISSUES.
- Communities at which to witness this practice first-hand in the state of PA include Naval Square in Philadelphia, Spring Valley Estates in Buckingham, Buckingham Forest in Furlong, Upper Mountain Estates in New Hope, Chapman’s Corner in Wrightstown, and Linton Hill Chase in Newtown.
- READ THE AGREEMENT OF SALE CAREFULLY and be sure you fully understand the impact of the Arbitration language and the scope of the Warranty Clause.
- STRONGLY CONSIDER HIRING A PROFESSIONAL INSPECTOR (OR 2) TO OVERSEE THE WORK BEING PERFORMED BY TOLL BROTHERS' WORKERS. THIS SMALL INVESTMENT MAY SAVE YOU SUBSTANTIAL SUMS AT A LATER DATE!!
- You may opt for a moisture inspection. There are many reputable companies that perform this service.
- Toll Quarterly Report – Link is referenced for 4Q2016 above. Other reports can be found on the internet.
- https://www.tollbrothers.com/documents/10q/tol-20170430.pdf - This is Toll’s 10Q report dated April 30, 2017. Please refer to page 18, Section 13 “Commitments and Contingencies”. This section clearly states, “in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016, our estimated liability for these water intrusion claims increased significantly.” Additionally, the SEC (Securities Exchange Commission) has requested documentation related to this matter.
- Additional actions being taken and that you too can take if you receive an unsatisfactory answer from Toll Brothers:
- LEGAL ACTION
- REACH OUT TO MEDIA SOURCES - So far we have had coverage by The Intelligencer (local Bucks County newspaper), 6 ABC / Action News, and the Philadelphia Business Journal. We are currently working with additional media sources that will bring much wider coverage and attention to this story that impacts so many people.
- REACH OUT TO THE ATTORNEY GENERAL IN YOUR STATE – We are working with the PA Attorney General and suggest you file a complaint if required.
- REACH OUT TO YOUR STATE REPRESENTATIVES – We are working with some in our state and suggest you do the same. You must push for a change in existing laws that currently protect homebuilders and not home buyers.
- Push to have uncapped or extended warranty limits (time and monetary) in place in the event of negligent building practices such as those described above, and / or in the event that a product or service is misrepresented.
- Push for disclosure laws when a problem is discovered. There are no such laws today for the homebuilding industry (at least not in PA).
Information From My Toll Experience website
- Your governor, and also the Governor of Pennsylvania. You can find the names and addresses you need at www.nga.org/cms/governors.
- Your state attorney general, and also the Attorney General of Pennsylvania. You can find the names and addresses you need at: www.naag.org
- Your U.S. Congressmen. You can find the names and addresses you need at: www.contactingthecongress.org/
- Your state legislators. You can find the names and addresses you need at: www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml
- Your state department of consumer affairs. You can find the names and addresses you need at www.usa.gov/directory/stateconsumer/index.shtml
- Your area U.S. Attorney. You can find the names and addresses you need at: http://www.justice.gov/usao/about/usa-map.html
- Ms. Anne Marie Hannam, Protection Agent II, Bureau of Consumer Protection, South 12th Street, 2nd Floor, Philadelphia,19101
- Your state and local Better Business Bureaus. You can find the names and addresses you need at www.bbb.org/us/find-a-bbb/
Don't be left on the outside looking in as so many Toll homebuyers have found themselves. Let us help educate you and guide you to take action against Toll Brothers in an effort to protect what is likely the biggest investment of your life.